TRY THIS TOMORROW: SMASH BOOM BEST
How do you pass the time on long car drives?
My family listens to podcasts which is how we discovered APMStuidos’ Smash Boom Best. This is a debate podcast for families and kids. Each episode has guests debate two topics throughout three rounds. The judge is given points to award after each round to help decide the winner. This setup brought a lot of joy to our car ride as we paused the show to discuss and defend where our points would be given. Naturally, this discussion, opinion defense and evidence gathering led me to think about the classroom. It would be a great resource for a grade 3 – 6 classroom.
How could this be used in the classroom?
- Use the scoreboard available on the Smash Boom Best website to track points and start discussions.
- Discuss the elements of a debate using the Listening Party Kit to see how the debaters defended their point of view.
- Adapt their lesson plans to have students create their own debate.
- Try out persuasive argument techniques with their section on how to build a strong argument.
- Practice creating and defending an opinion through listening to an episode, the scoreboard tracker and a verbal or written defense.
There are so many ways to incorporate this educational and entertaining podcast into a classroom. Leave a comment if you give any a try!