TRY THIS TOMORROW: POETRY MENTOR TEXTS
One of the most time-consuming tasks as a teacher is the gathering of mentor texts. For all your poetry mentor text needs, you must follow @Joseph_Fasano_ on Twitter. He is the host of a daily poetry thread. He begins the thread by posting a poem and includes the topics of the text. He, along with his almost 20K followers, continue the thread with posts of poems matching the topic.
Example poetry thread topics:
How to use this:
- Explore how the same topic can produce varying themes
- Make your own collection of texts on the same topic
- On an online platform, follow the same pattern of the original poster starting a thread
- Students pick a topic of interest and practice the skills you are currently teaching
- Use the threads as research for a reading multigenre
I love it when readers come together to share texts and collaborate. Happy hunting!