CRAFT STUDIO: SHOUT BY LAURIE HALSE ANDERSON
What I Was Reading:
Shout, Laurie Halse Anderson’s newest book, written in verse, is both a memoir and a call to action against censorship, sexual assault, and the silencing of victims.
What Moves I Notice the Writer Making:
- In this section the author uses a numbered list to write short narratives to help the reader understand her year in grade 9.
- Some of the numbered items recount events and some reveal her internal thinking and struggles.
Possibilities for Writers:
- This piece could be used to help students reflect on a year in their life.
- Use the title “ninth grade: my year of living stupidly” to create your own title “____ grade: my year of living_______”
- Students can then use a numbered list to include short pieces of writing that reveal why this was their year of living ______”