When I find an author that I love, I will often follow them on social media. This gives me the opportunity to find out about upcoming book releases and gives me a glimpse into their life and thoughts.
I was checking out K A Holt’s Twitter/X the other day, and noticed a link in her bio to her author’s website. K A Holt is the author of middle grade fiction and picture books. (She has written some of my favourite books in verse, like House Arrest and Rhyme Schemer.)
On her website she has a “For Kids” page.
And I was delighted to see:
FIVE FAST FACTS ABOUT KA HOLT
- Kari Anne was born in Atlanta, Georgia on September 10th, 19somethingsomething.
- When she was 13, Kari Anne accidentally stomped through a gerbil cage, resulting in five stitches on her calf. You can still see the zigzag scar.
- When she was young, her favorite author was Paula Danziger, followed closely by Lois Lowry.
- Kari Anne’s favorite food is almost always a taco, but there are times when a cheeseburger wins.
- She has synesthesia, which means she sees letters and numbers as colors, and she sometimes mixes up other senses, too. (Examples: the letter C is orange, the number one is icy white)
I instantly thought – what a great way for students to share facts about themselves…or about any topic, really. This would make a great quickwrite, or a way for students to organize their About the Author pages for their writing. Try this tomorrow!